Nepenthe

 

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com

www.blogwise.com

le photo

<< x BlogxPhiles x >>

Monday, July 07, 2003

Friday Five  
1. What were your favorite childhood stories?
There was a book of stories our group read in 5th grade. (Our school would cull the smart kids for accelerated learning.) It included a story called The Veldt. I wish I could find it; I've searched and not had any luck. Also The Phantom Tollboth. I gave my husband a copy of it.
2. What books from your childhood would you like to share with your children?
From childhood, I suppose the only one would be The Phantom Tollbooth. It wasn't until adolescence and adulthood that I was able to get far enough away from my parents' protective grip to read much worthwhile stuff.
3. Have you re-read any of those childhood stories and been surprised by anything?
I re-read The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe and was surprised by how much I didn't like it now.
4. How old were you when you first learned to read?
I don't remember, but it was pretty early. My mom used to read the newspaper to me when I was a baby. My first sister was born 19 months after me, and the second 14 months after that. My mom says I used to read to them.
5. Do you remember the first 'grown-up' book you read? How old were you?
I think that would be a collection of Shakespeare in paperback that my father had from college. It had a bunch of notes he'd written in the margins. I found it in a box in the garage and read it. I was in 5th or 6th grade, so I was probably 10 or 11.