Nepenthe

 

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com

www.blogwise.com

le photo

<< x BlogxPhiles x >>

Sunday, November 03, 2002

Friday Five  
Okay, so I'm late. But it's my first time!
1. Were you raised in a particular religious faith?
Yes, Mormon.
2. Do you still practice that faith? Why or why not?
Hell, no; I respect the religion but it ain't for me. I don't agree with the tenets of the faith, and especially with the prohibitions. No alcohol, smoking, caffeine, premarital sex, R-rated movies, birth control, abortion, women in priesthood. I just really don't think those things are wrong and I've participated in almost all of them.
3. What do you think happens after death?
I believe in a certain part of you that persists, whether you call it "soul", "consciousness", or whatever. I also believe in a variety of reincarnation. By which I mean that all matter is recycled. All creatures (plant, animal, bacteria, etc.) are molecules which are continually disorganized and reorganized. All of existence can really be conceived as a single organism.
4. What is your favorite religious ritual (participating in or just observing)?
I don't really like any. All ritual is a means of focussing the mind on a desired result in order to manifest it. I'm very minimalist; I prefer to do my focussing in the realm of thought rather than action.
5. Do you believe people are basically good?
No. How imbalanced would that be? Both "good" and "evil" reside in each of us. I quote Alexsandr Solzhenitsyn, "the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being."