Nepenthe

 

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com

www.blogwise.com

le photo

<< x BlogxPhiles x >>

Friday, November 08, 2002

Friday Five  
1. Did you vote in your last elections?
Absolutely. My husband voted, too. He's under penalty of divorce if he ever declines to vote.
2. Do you know who your elected representatives are?
Yup. Bush, Boxer, Feinstein, Davis, Liu, Schiff. However, I've been re-districted out of Liu & Schiff and, despite my voting efforts, I will be rep'd next year by Dreier and Mountjoy. Republicans, blech!
3. Have you ever contacted an elected representative? If so, what was it about?
All the f'ing time. I write to them about environmental issues, women's issues, GLBT issues, civil rights, labor issues. Also I write to other members of gov't (like John Ashcroft), CEOs, Department of Navy (for their whale-killing sonar) and various others. I write at least once a week and usually more. Most of the time I get a written response, too.
4. Have you ever participated in a demonstration?
Yes. I work for a labor union and I participated with them in two strikes, one at LAC USC Medical Center and one at Garfield Hospital. Some of my co-workers participate in other demos, like anti-war, but I'm scared to go to those after one of them came back with a really nasty bruise from being shot by police with rubber bullets. I am small and bruise easily so I prefer to write letters and let the big people march and yell and get shot.
5. Have you ever volunteered in an election? What was the result?
Yes. This was also work-related. I did poll watching for a local political campaign. It was a couple years ago; I think she lost.